Monday 11 August 2014

DIY Vintage Teacup Wedding Favour

A Tutorial from my own Vintage-Inspired Wedding

I'm quite excited to write a tutorial based on my own wedding, as it's an excuse to look back over all the photographs and re-live the planning and the day itself. So here we go ... here is how to make your own favours from vintage teacups! 


House of Newns Vintage Teacup Favours // Adam Drake Photography
There are so many options for favours at weddings, and if you have chosen to make them yourself the possibilities for personalisation are endless. I chose to give teacups filled with sweets to all the women at our wedding. If you would like to do the same, here is what you need.

If you fancy filling your teacups with something other than sweets, check out my post on Five of the Best Vintage Teacups here.


What You Will 
Need

  • Teacups! I sourced mine in sets of six or so from eBay and family. You could also try thrift and charity shops. Steer clear of general auctions and well know potteries if you are trying to keep costs down!
  • Sweets I bought mine from Macro in large tubs. Amazon and Hobbycraft also sell sweets in bulk but they are a little more expensive to buy this way rather than from a cash and carry. We went for sherbet lemons, strawberries and cream, and rosy apples.
  • Cellophane I bought a roll of 50cm x 20m cellophane in the florists' seciton of Hobbycraft. I used plain but you can get it with little patterns and designs on too!
  • Florists' Wire Again I got this from Hobbycraft - I bought the Oasis (brand) bobbin of wire rather than the packs of individual wires and had more than enough
  • Small sticky foam pads - Hobbycraft again but most stationers' will sell these
  • Strong scissors
  • Luggage tags (optional)
  • A team of bridesmaids or helpers!

My place setting on the day - spot the teacup top left! // Adam Drake Photography


Method

Once you have chosen your teacups and decided if you want them matching or if you are going to mix and match the cups and saucers (I did a combo of both) you might want to give them all a wipe or clean - though as you have the cellophane this is optional!

Mix and match teacups and saucers for a more shabby chic look

Next, I would recommend securing the teacup to the saucer. I used 3-4 small foam pads on the bottom of each cup. This will help you transport them and allow people to take them home without breaking them!

Some of the 50+ teacups I sourced - one for each woman guest!

Now you need to wrap your sweets ready to go into the teacups. Measure your teacups first to gauge roughly how many sweets you will need - I think we used 6-7 of large boiled sweets.
Cut squares of cellophane and place the sweets in the middle, then gather together the four corners and twist the sweets from the bottom. Now tie a length of the florists' wire around the top of the sweets, leaving the corners free to spread out a little, as seen here. it's not a precise science so don't worry to much if some look a little more unruly than others!

House of Newns Vintage Teacup Favour // Adam Drake Photography

This is where the bridal party comes in handy! I had a favour-making evening at my house and each person had a different job. Eg: One person stuck the saucers to the cups; one person cut the cellophane squares; one cut the lengths of wire; one measured the sweets into the cellophane then twisted and tied them etc. We had Prosecco and bellinis and it was great fun! (Mother-in-laws are optional.)

Once all your teacups have their sweets, you may also want to tie luggage tags to the teacups to double them up as place settings. I hand wrote mine but stenciling or stamping looks great too.

The table displays with mis-matched teacups favours - the night before hence no flowers!

And voila! You have some beautiful and personal gifts for your guests. My only other tip would be to write 'take me home' on the tag too - some of my guests didn't realise they could take the teacups as well as the sweets so my bridesmaids had to go round the tables telling everyone!

Here are a few pics from my wedding ... just because!

House of Newns // Adam Drake Photography






No comments:

Post a Comment